Both the Panda and Penguin code updates have impacted not only those sites which these codes where created to impact,but many a good site which had been previously categorized as authority sites have been negatively impacted as well.
Much as been written regarding these codes, and many more bloggers have reported that using Google Webmaster Tools such as Google Analytic give the big “G” an unfair advantage, and with such “inside” info they are destroying many sites.
I cannot verify this information because I have GA running in several of my sites; some of them are sites created during my first years as an internet marketer, and others reflect my growth and understanding as a blogger. It is fair to say that the earlier sites where not so good, and did not reflect the type of sites which mayor Search Engines are proud to index and rank. Therefore they have not done well with either Panda or Penguin.
The sites which have done very well, are those sites which have Original Content
However; I must clarify that when I refer to Original Content I’m referring to content I personally created, and content I have borrowed from others. I’ve learned that so long as I keep it around 60/40 or 70/30 I tend to do well in the rankings. Obviously I’m referring to 60 and or 70 percent original content with the rest being 40 or 30 percent borrowed content.
One important point to make is that you must always credit the source of your borrowed content. This is significant. I even go a step further, I go to the site where I borrowed the content from, and leave a comment indicating I’ve borrowed a portion of their article, and have given them credit for it. This has in returned helped get my comment approved, and I’ve earn a back link from it as well as traffic from an authority site.
Then End Of Link Farms
Last week Alex Wares (managing director at search marketing agency Mediarun) wrote:
“…‘Penguin’ has come into force, looking to eradicate websites that break search best practice rules. However, Google has been forced to admit teething problems with the update after it received complaints from legitimate companies that had been removed from search rankings as a result of the changes.
In spite of the negativity, the original aim of Penguin to clean up the web space is a positive move for the SEO industry.
The Penguin algorithm launched on 24 April, and is an update focused squarely on reducing ‘black hat webspam’…”
The objective of the Penguin Google code is to de-value or if you will de-index sites created purely with the purpose of manipulating Google to give itself a high search ranking and make itself more prominent. Other wise referred to as content-farms, these sites contain little if no value added content which is often time computer generated content or “spun content” which if read by a human would make little if no sense at all.
The objective of the content-farms was never to provide value content to the reader, but to give its subscriber, as universe of Page Ranked 1 – 3 blog sites from which a backlink pointing to the subscriber’s “money-site” would be found by the Google Bots. The idea being that if the Google Bots found such a link from a supposedly reputable site, then the target site should be reputable as well.
Well, the cuddly Penguin has put several of these content-farms out of business. Many of them where charging over $100/month for this service, and now they are worthless.
The moral of this story is “garbage in, garbage out.”
Do your own work, and give your readers info they can use and find beneficial. This is the only way to keep your readers returning over and over again.
|Hi, this is Néstor Pabón I'm just a regular "Joe" who discovered internet marketing back in 2004, and by 2005 had replaced my day time job pay check, and doubled it by mid 2006. If you liked this article and would like me to share with you how I make my living online subscribe to my Newsletter for more tips and "insider" strategies.|